The following is a précis of the main activities of Islandmagee Community Development Association since its formation in 1996. In addition to the listings the Association has been involved in much routine work including its own housekeeping, and representations with many statutory organisations on subjects including road conditions, planning, welfare, safety, community provisions, sewage disposal and environmental matters. Also there are activities that may only be mentioned once or twice in the Time Line that are repeated on an annual basis eg. Island in bloom, mini soccer, quarterly news sheet, childrens party and Christmas tree lighting.
- Islandmagee Community Development Association(ICDA) established ( 1st. July at Millbay Inn)
- Membership of North Antrim Community Network (NACN)
- Membership of Rural Community Network (RCN)
- Seeding grant of £400 received from Larne Borough Council (LBC)
- Community quarterly News Paper launched. Printed by Premier Power
- Association logo adopted. Selected from primary school competition. Chosen logo by Claire Whitall.
- Partnership established with Ballycarry (Loughside Management Committee)
- £20,000 obtained from NIVT to help establish joint community office with Ballycarry
- Work commences on constructing a Community Audit to collect views and wishes of Islandmagee residents. Funded by North Antrim Leader (NAL) and RCN
- Secretary’s computer provided by NACN
- £50 donated to over 60’s Club
- Supported production of 1st Islandmagee Tourist Guide by LBC
- Line Dancing Club established in Community centre. Seventy enrolled.
- Prescription delivery service established for elderly and handicapped.
- Design of community audit completed
- All homes in Islandmagee audited 23rd November to 7th December
- Beginners courses in computing launched at Islandmagee Football Club and Community Centre, delivered by East Antrim Institute.
- £18,000 grant obtained from NIVT for joint community office with Ballycarry
- Christmas family fun evening organised in community centre and funded by ICDA
- Mini Soccer coaching established at Islandmagee Football Club (Tesco sponsors equipment purchase) Coaching by Irish Football Association ( IFA).
- Lobbied, with others, for construction of footpath from Ballystrudder to Whitehead
- Public meeting held in Millbay Inn to communicate Audit findings to community and to statutory bodies. £743 funding from NAL.
- Helped organisations identify suitable funding sources. Result-Play Group receive £10,000 funding from Larne District Partnership (LDP).
- Funding obtained from Northern Ireland Voluntary Trust (NIVT) to create a video archive of Islandmagee in Millennium year
- Wendy Carson appointed as Community Officer for Islandmagee and Ballycarry
- European Union nternational exchange (delivered by NAL). Charlotte Hall represents Islandmagee with visit to community in Finland. Roland Wiik makes return visit
- Community noticeboards installed. Funded through NAL
- Charitable status obtained. (Inland revenue No.XR32912)
- Work Experience provided for two young Islandmagee men at community office
- Pilot hanging basket project introduced supported by LBC
- Local mini soccer coaches trained by IFA at Islandmagee Football Club
- Millennium video archive completed
- Funding obtained (£4,000) from Lloyds TSB foundation to support ICDA in dealing with issues raised by community audit
- ICDA hosts annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- Three year funding (£90,000) from National Lottery to sustain joint community office with Ballycarry
- ICDA table Quiz in Golf Club raises £600 for NI Hospice
- First Islandmagee/Ballycarry community directory produced (Lottery Funded)
- Premier Power sources £2500 from British Gas Foundation to support ICDA work
- Hanging Basket project expanded to Island in Bloom. ICDA earmarks £1,000 to get project Established.
- Table Tennis Club established . Equipment provided by Ansaldo, Premier Power and McKenzie Metals.
- ICDA brings NE Library Board story telling bus to Community centre.
- Dr. R. S. O’Direain produces booklet on the origin of Islandmagee townland names
- ICDA purchases IFA mini soccer CD training roms for local primary schools
- History of Islandmagee by Dixon Donaldson re-published by ICDA
- ICDA raises £5,000 from Lloyds TSB, FG Wilson and Premier Power, match funding for Mullaghboy Play Area provided by LBC
- Islandmagee postcard produced by ICDA
- Queen’s Golden Jubilee family fun day organised by ICDA. Funded by Dept of Culture, Arts and Leisure and LBC
- Computer accounting classes for farmers and small businesses arranged by ICDA and delivered by East Antrim Institute.
- Table Tennis introduced to Kilcoan and Ballypriormore schools
- Ansaldo buy £100 worth of I’magee Christmas cards. Proceeds donated to NI Children’s Hospice
- Following ICDA lobby, bird diverters installed on power lines at Lough Rd.
- Planning commences for creation of Community Responder Group
- Development officer produces future plan document for Islandmagee
- ICDA facilitates kit sponsorship for Islandmagee Football Club from Premier Power Corona Plant
- Islandmagee / Ballycarry lottery funding for community office at an end. Wendy finds new employment
- Table quiz in Larne Golf Club raises funds for NI Chest Heart and Stroke and Island in Bloom sponsored by Nambarrie Tea.
- Table quiz in Larne Golf Club raises £300 for Larne branch St. John Ambulance
- ICDA takes over production of Tourist (Visitors) Guide from L B C
- Twenty five trees obtained from LBC for roadside planting
- Table Quiz held in Millbay Inn to cover cost of Defibrillator for Responder Group
- Auction held in Community Centre. £661 raised for Responder Group
- Community Responder Group operational ( Northern Ireland’s first), Now independent from ICDA.
- 2nd edition Postcard produced.
- Millennium community record edited to video format and put on sale
- ICDA takes part in study of peninsular needs with Innishowen, Strangford and Cooley, Co. Louth.(PULSE)
- Table Quiz @ Larne Golf Club raises £212 for ICDA funds.
- ICDA teams with Ulster Wildlife Trust to promote recycling. Visits to schools plus £250 worth of equipment received.
- Consultation begins with L B C about recycling facilities for Islandmagee and Ballycarry £450 funding obtained from NACN for ICDA summer mini soccer.
- Fireside quiz raises £100 for Island in Bloom
- Premier Power donates A3 photocopier to ICDA
- ICDA draws down £354 Northern Health Board grant (delivered by NACN)to enable professional table tennis coaching
- ICDA supports introduction of recycling bring centres at community centre and Browns Bay by LBC
- ICDA facilitates £250 grant for homework club from Premier Power
- Financial support (£360) received from the Tree Council’s Community Trees Fund to purchase and to plant roadside trees
- 3rd edition community Christmas card produced
- New edition of Visitors Guide published. £750 received from LBC.
- Islandmagee Community Fair organised by ICDA and funded by Larne Alive project and Premier Power
- Islandmagee Community Directory published, EU funding delivered through NACN
- £500funding drawn down for Larne Golf Club Summer Scheme from Northern Health Partnership through NACN
- £480 grant funding for table tennis club acquired through NACN
- Walks Guide produced, cross border funding(£1,300) obtained through Imeal Tra Teo
- Table quiz in Islandmagee Football Club raised funds for Childrens party
- ICDA hosts presentation from Portland Gas to inform community on plans for gas storage project
- Feasibility study completed by LBC for Gobbins restoration project. Public meeting held.
- Summer fete held at Community Centre. Funded by Larne Borough Council and Premier Power. (£2,500)
- £600 EU funding acquired through N A CN for Table Tennis Club
- ICDA hosted series of community meetings with NI Water re proposed new sewage disposal system for Whitehead/Ballycarry/Ballystrudder.
- Continued engagement re Ballystrudder sewage with NI Water . Hosted public meetings
- IFA takes ownership of Summer Mini Soccer
- Engagement with Premier Power re environmental problems with B-station.
- Work on compiling new history book by Dr.R. S. O’Direain
- NACN gifts Islandmagee Community Association with office supplies.
- Islandmagee & Templecorran ~ A Postcard History by Dr. R.S. O’Direain and F. McHugh published. All profits from sales donated by authors to ICDA’s work.
- £2,500 support for book printing from Islandmagee Storage and Premier Power.
- Launch night held for history book at Larne Golf Club
- Mid Antrim Museum arranges promotional tours and displays at Carrickfergus, Newtownabbey and Larne for history book and provides display material.
- Continued support for Gobbins regeneration project. Two ICDA members on joint Gobbins/Sliabh Liag Board.
- Islandmagee DVD produced by Frank Graham and marketed
- Community noticeboards refurbished
- Recycling Centre, provided by LBC, opened at Islandmagee Road Lower.
- ICDA part funds equipment purchase for Scouts D.of E. Award Scheme work
- Islandmagee 2011 DVD produced and marketed.
- Engagement with NI Water re problems with Millbay Sewage System
- ICDA provides part funding for equipment for newly formed Rainbow Group
- ICDA funds cost of bringing Action Cancer’s “Big Bus” to Larne golf Club venue.
- ICDA committee received as guests at Mayor’s (Ciir. Andy Wilson) parlour.